US Will Temporarily Suspend Expedited Processing for H-1B Visas

US Will Temporarily Suspend Expedited Processing for H-1B Visas

The move comes immediately after President Donald Trump announced to be temporarily suspending expedited applications for the H-1B visas.

In a communication, USCIS said, "The temporary suspension applies to all H-1B petitions filed on or after April 3, 2017".

Petitioners will still have the opportunity to expedite their H-1B petition during the suspension if they meet the qualifications that include humanitarian crises or emergency situations.

However, it will continue to premium process Form I-129 H-1B petitions if the petitioner properly filed an associated Form I-907 before April 3, 2017. These applications appear to be rising in number, and the USCIS says it is suspending it in order to clear some of the backlog. Otherwise, the H-1B waiting period could be several months.

Russian jets accidentally bombed US-backed forces in Syria: US general
An image taken from video footage and released by Russia's Defense Ministry on August 18, 2016, shows a Russian fighter-bomber dropping bombs in Syria.

The visa is valid for three years but can be extended for an additional three years.

Although Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's tech lobbying group FWD.us has sought an expansion of the H1-B visa program, U.S. senator Dick Durbin (D-Illinois) sent a letter to Trump administration on Friday morning asking the president to deliver on his campaign promise to crack down on H-1B visas. "We review all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis and requests are granted at the discretion of the office leadership", states the note.

"While H-1B premium processing is suspended, petitioners will not be able to file Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service for a Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker which requests the H-1B nonimmigrant classification", the news release read. Companies from fields including tech, engineering, journalism, medicine and academia regularly apply to acquire some of the program's 85,000 visas, which are distributed via lottery. Richard Durbin (D) of IL asking Trump to revamp the law and replace the lottery with a system prioritizing graduates of USA universities and the highest-paid workers.

He refers to the common complaint that foreign companies game the system by flooding the government with applications, hire workers for temporary training at half the standard salary, then rotate them back to the home country. Last year, the demand was three times greater than the quota.

Related Articles

  • Rory McIlroy takes two-shot lead at WGC-Mexico Championship

    Rory McIlroy takes two-shot lead at WGC-Mexico Championship

    After failing to break par in the opening two rounds of the WGC-Mexico Championship, the two-time major champion hit the range and eventually the Internet.
    Bentley Bentayga Mulliner takes the luxury SUV experience to next level

    Bentley Bentayga Mulliner takes the luxury SUV experience to next level

    Bespoke features include a new Mulliner Bottle Cooler in the rear of the cabin, Cumbria Crystal flutes and rear centre console. The bigger differences are found in the cabin, where Mulliner has combined modern and traditional coachbuilding design.
    Snap Prices Shares at $17 for Thursday's IPO

    Snap Prices Shares at $17 for Thursday's IPO

    For now, Snap is expected to set a $14 to $16 price per share, which would translate to a massive $22.2 billion valuation. Moreover, 26-year-old Spiegel will continue to hold a stake of about 17 percent in the company, valued at $4.05 billion.
  • Cuomo And Schumer Denounce Acts Of Anti-Semitism Against JCCs

    The state is also offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the prosecution of those responsible for bomb threats. Outdoor enthusiasts and activists from across NY have gathered in Albany to urge state lawmakers to back Gov.
    Senate confirms Ben Carson as HUD secretary

    Senate confirms Ben Carson as HUD secretary

    Several congress members have vocally opposed Carson's nomination process including former vice presidential candidate, Sen. It was confirmed that Ben Carson will join Trump's Cabinet to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development .
    Yenna Sir! Ban Coke, Pepsi? And Drink What? Torino And Bovonto!

    Yenna Sir! Ban Coke, Pepsi? And Drink What? Torino And Bovonto!

    However, it is unclear how numerous state's 20 lakh (2 million) retailers will join the call. A majority of the colleges in Coimbatore have stopped sales of the drinks in their canteens.
  • Conte reveals

    Conte reveals "the only problem" he has at Chelsea this season

    I hope to stay to win a lot for this club". "If you ask me if my family is missing me, honestly, I have to say yes, they are". We're going to stay focused and keep working hard together as a team, as everyone can see we're doing.
    Subway fighting back against

    Subway fighting back against "stunningly flawed" report on chicken

    The test can show the DNA percentage of a product, says Newmaster, but "it is very difficult" to translate that to the product's mass.

    Logan: Hugh Jackman's Wolverine Swan Song

    Now, it seems as though we might have another black and white version of a movie on our hands: Logan . Marvel and X-Men fans will surely remember the great performance of "Hugh Jackman" as the Wolverine .
  • Politics is not game, May tells Scottish nationalists

    Politics is not game, May tells Scottish nationalists

    The British Prime Minister was critical of the SNP and said services such as education and health had got worse under its leadership.
    No USB-C Connector on iPhone 8

    No USB-C Connector on iPhone 8

    However, an analyst is refuting those claims stating that all three new iPhones this year will continue using the Lightning port. Kuo also suggested that the larger OLED version of the next iPhone may have a faster charging speed than its smaller siblings.

    David Haye warns Tony Bellew: 'Enjoy your last days'

    I guess the British boxing public would still purchase the fight, but I don't think it would be a good fight at all. The 36-year-old former WBA heavyweight champion of the world also gave a disturbing insight into his frame of mind.