An 11-year-old MA girl suffered second- and third-degree burns this month after being exposed to an ingredient in a popular do-it-yourself science project for children.
"The Borax is an acid and so the acid can burn the hands and topically can cause a significant burn", said Dr. Hillary Branch, a pediatrician at Baystate Medical Center.
Kathleen is recovering, but she's missed a week of school and has to sleep with her hands in splints. When she woke up the next morning, she had severe pain in her hands, WECT6 reports.
The Quinns had encouraged their daughter to make the slime seeing it as a welcome distraction to social media and other technology that pre-teens are typically consumed with, WCVB reported.
Live Location Sharing Comes To Facebook Messenger
Previously, people could share their whereabouts with Google's old Latitude service, as well as its fated Google+ social network. Thankfully, Facebook is eager to help us out with this sort of predicament, and it is enlisting Messenger to aid in the effort.
For their part, Kathleen's doctors think that Quinn had an extreme reaction to Borax, one of the ingredients in the mixture. Borax isn't a carcinogen and actually can't even really penetrate skin that well.
"I feel like the worst mother", she said. It left blisters on her hands.
"Just because you have it around, just because it seems to be perfectly safe for those types of applications doesn't mean it should be used in anything else, particularly household slime", Dickerson said in a Consumer Reports news video earlier this month. More than 1.2 million results appear on YouTube from a search for "homemade slime".
There are borax-free alternatives in making slime, including one released by Buzzfeed that is mainly made up of liquid starch and glue. Her parents, on the other hand, are taking it upon themselves to warn other parents about taking extra precautions when dealing with common chemicals such as borax for children's projects. "It's fine. Nothing happened to my child.' We made it a million times, too", Quinn said.